Monday, June 16, 2008

Procrastination

Anyone who knows me should know that I'm a procrastinator. If I have a stressful task one of the main things I do is go to sleep, hoping that everything will have fixed itself in the morning. Unfortunately that usually doesn't work....

I think as artist we procrastinate. Especially if we're constantly trying to grow. There's always something more to inspire us and there's always someone we look up to.

This past weekend, as I was listening to the radio, the dj's were interviewing a professor of psychology from Carleton University. His name is Timothy A. Pychyl and he specializes in the study of procrastination. I just finished reading Goal progress and Happiness from his blog and I find it so interesting how, as artist, we really are never happy with our own work. Which has a big effect on our life.

Ever stare at a really tough scene. One that has about 10 characters, all of them have to walk, stop, turn around and perhaps dance the macaraina? OK maybe not that much. But we've all seen our share of time consuming, energy draining scenes. And doesn't it just eat away at your brain all day long. Its 4 pm and you think to yourself "I really need to get that scene done, But... its already late and if I start now I'll miss my ride home" But why...? Once you get started on that scene it flies by! Before you realize it, its practically finished and your putting on the little touches. You spend all your time on the build-up that the scenes going to be a bitch and less time on the actual scene, with all that unnecessary worry. Imagin how if we just worked on the scene. Went home and had nothing to worry about.

Anyways, Here's the Blog I was talking about:
http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/blog/dont-delay

Don't delay, Read it today!

Ok sorry I had to rhyme it, it would have sounded awkward if I didn't.

No comments: